We all love to spoil our pets! This is a good thing, right?
Well – one, with the right kinds of treats and of course in moderation… but there are at least 12 “people foods” that our cats and dogs should not be given, no matter how much of a cute game-face our furry legged friends can lay on us. The top 12 people foods to never give your pets:
1. Chocolate! Most of us love chocolate, but remember to make sure that all chocolate is kept all out of reach of your puppies and dogs. You see, chocolate contains theobromide, a chemical that can damage a canine’s lungs, heart, kidneys and the nervous system. Baking chocolate is the most toxic to dogs! So when done your chocolate snacking, remember to put them up and away in a cabinet where your beloved canine cannot reach!
2. Sugarless Gum! Who would have thought? You see the sugar free sweetener used in the gum, xylitol can stimulate a dog’s pancreas to secret insulin. Which can lead to low blood sugar levels and severe liver damage. As much as we want to eliminate the rough dog breath – sugarless gum is a no-no. For bad breath, there are great products for your pup to chew on and of course regular dog biscuits too!
3.Alcohol! This is an absolute NO! The ethanol found in alcohol can cause severe rapid damge to your dog’s central nervous system and respiratory system. Alcohol is absorbed by the body so quickly – that it is advised to to call the vet immediately if you have found that your dog has consumed any alcohol.
4. Yeast Dough! Yeast dough contains ethanol – just like alcohol! And consumption of yeast dough can have the same effects and damage to their systems. Other symptoms of ingestion of yeast dough would be lethargy, weakness and low body temperature. If you believe your dog has consumed yeast dough call your vet immediately!
5. Grapes and Raisins! To this day it is unclear what makes these fruits poisonous to dogs but it is clear that a small amount, just four to five grapes, can cause irreversible kidney damage in most dogs! So, this is a people food only!
6. Macadamia Nuts! Macadamia nuts can cause your dog to become very ill, they are not usually fatal, however, a small handful of these nuts can cause severe vomiting, muscle and joint pain, swelling and lethargy.
7.Onions! All forms of onions, raw, cooked, powdered, saute’d… are unsafe for your cat and dog! Only a small amount of onion can cause poisoning. The onion poisoning breaks down the red blood cells, which causes anemia, weight loss, lethargy and more. The ingredient thiosulphate contained in an onion, is toxic to both cats and dogs and can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body to burst! Please no onions!
8. Garlic! Very similar to onions, a small amount of garlic can cause internal issues for your pet. Garlic also affects the red blood cells and causes the same toxic reaction and can lead to death!
9. Caffeine! Most of us can not live without our daily doses of caffeine – however, cats and dogs should have none in their daily diets. the ingestion of moderate amounts of coffee grounds, tea bags or 1-2 diet pills can easily cause death in small dogs or cats. When ingested, clinical signs of hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, an elevated heart rate, hypertension (elevated blood pressure), abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, hypothermia (elevated body temperature), seizures, collapse and death may be seen.
10. Bones and Fat Trimmings! Bones are a danger as they can become lodged in your dog or cats esophagus and lead to choking and/or can rip the esophagus, or create obstructions. Bones should not be given to your pets under any circumstances – fat and trimmings can cause blockage that can lead to death but at the very least, cause diarrhea and vomiting.
11. Raw Eggs! A big no-no for your cat or dog. Just like humans, our pets can get food poisoning from the salmonella or E. coli sometimes found in raw eggs. Additionally, the avidin found in egg whites can prevent your feline’s absorption of vitamin B, leading to skin problems and fur loss. Cooked eggs are a wonderful source of protein for your pet!
12. Milk! Believe it or not – is not a good treat for kitty! Most cats are lactose intolerant. Cats can’t break down the milk sugar and keep in mind that dairy products case diarrhea and leading cause of dehydration. So remember, if you want to give kitty a bowl of milk, reach for the lactose free brands!
Well, there are the top 12 “people foods” to never give your pet. However there are a few more that we feel are just as important for you as a pet owner to know about.
Avocados – Avocados contain a substance called persin. It’s harmless for humans who aren’t allergic. But large amounts might be toxic to dogs. If you happen to be growing avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as in the fruit.
Peaches, Plums and Persimmons – The problem with these fruits is the seeds or pits. The seeds from persimmons can cause inflammation of the small intestine in dogs. They can also cause intestinal obstruction. Obstruction is also a possibility if a dog eats the pit from a peach or plum. Plus, peach and plum pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to both humans and dogs.
Raw meat and Raw Fish, like raw eggs, can contain bacteria that causes food poisoning. In addition, certain kinds of fish such as salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon can contain a parasite that causes “fish disease” or “salmon poisoning disease.” If not treated, the disease can be fatal within two weeks. The first signs of illness are vomiting, fever, and big lymph nodes. Thoroughly cooking the fish will kill the parasite and protect your dog.
Remember, if you’re not sure if your pet should have it as a treat, then don’t give it to them! Always have your veterinarian’s phone number handy and an emergency vet clinic for the after hours as well.
Hopefully, this article has been of help for you!